. . . about a variety of subjects
Category Archives: News
Rachel Maddow: Mich Emergency Manager story “the most important & undercovered story of the year” « Blogging for Michigan
Via Scoop.it – OccupyGR
Last night, on his MSNBC show, Ed Schulz finished the evening with a piece about the Emergency Manager issue in Michigan. One particularly interesting point made by Rev. Alexander Bullock from the Greater St. Matthew Baptist Church of Highland Park, MI and also of Rainbow Push Detroit was that Emergency Managers can take control of the Clerk’s office when they take over a city. Since the City Clerks run the local elections, that has ominous portent for the future of democracy in our state. During the hand-off from Ed Schultz to Rachel Maddow, it became clear that there was much more to come on the subject of Michigan’s Emergency Managers and indeed there was.
- Can Detroit Avoid an Emergency Manager? (theroot.com)
- John Conyers Asks Attorney General To Review Michigan Emergency Manager Law (huffingtonpost.com)
- Welcome to Austerityville (slate.com)
- Michigan Unions And Poor Face 85 Hostile Laws (mykeystrokes.com)
- John Conyers wants Eric Holder to review law that could put Detroit under an emergency manager (dailykos.com)
- Sources Contradict Freep Report On Detroit Emergency Manager Moving Forward (huffingtonpost.com)
A significant blow for independent journalists, phototgraphers and videographers; moreover an outrage against those struggling to amass a portfolio worthy of showing to main stream media. It will be interesting to see if any main stream media come to her defense and shame on any who do not.
Mashable reported today that blogger Crystal Cox is not due any protection in a lawsuit filed by Obsidian Finance Group because she is not “affiliated with any newspaper, magazine, periodical, book, pamphlet, news service, wire service, news or feature syndicate, broadcast station or network, or cable television system.” Read the story, caveat emptor.
- Judge Hits Blogger With $2.5 Million Charge for Not Being a Journalist (mashable.com)
- Bloggers cannot enjoy journalists’ legal privileges, says judge (guardian.co.uk)
- ‘Blogger not a journalist’ says Oregon court (go.theregister.com)
- Oregon Blogger’s Fate Could Impact Bloggers Everywhere, Sued for $2.5 Million (blogworld.com)
From Frugal Dad
Source: Frugal dad
About Jason (Frugal Dad)
Jason founded FrugalDad.com in 2007, back when being frugal was still unpopular.
- Conglomer-ATE: The Consolidation of American Food (Infographic) (frugaldad.com)
- Media Consolidation: The Illusion of Choice (Infographic) (frugaldad.com)